On Thursday evening, July 16, a large group of students volunteered their time to support Interior Design legislation. Designer Drinks is a joint program of IIDA, ASID, and IIDC (Illinois Interior Design Coalition). All proceeds of the evening are used to fund ongoing efforts to pass legislation in Springfield which recognizes the professional abilities of Registered Interior Designers.
The hosts of the evening were four showrooms in the 325 N Wells building: Trendway, National, Kimball Office, and DIRTT. Over two dozen prizes were donated by manufacturers and businesses and were on display inside the four showrooms. The students did a great job selling the “sweepstakes” tickets, and a few of them even walked away with one of the prizes.
Volunteering to help at professional events is a great way for students to meet practicing designers and network for future opportunities. Plus -IT’S REALLY FUN!!!
Bradford & Kent Remodelers, a premier residential remodeling company located in the Chicago suburbs and specializing in kitchens, baths and additions has an opening in its sales department for a Sales/Design Assistant.
Job Title: Sales/Design Assistant; this is a paid position, with salary tied to skills and experience.
Job Summary: Provide design, estimating and clerical support to the design/sales group.
- Greeting walk-ins, and offer back up phone support
- Assist Sales in selection of kitchen and bath products, including cabinetry for the buyer.
- Prepare internal documents required to support the sale (includes tile design sketches, change orders, estimates, request for information, etc.)
- Assist in preparing purchase orders for finished material
- Be available to assist other departments with problems associated with ongoing projects
The Candidate must be organized, detail oriented, able to multi-task and have outstanding Customer Service skills. Must be knowledgeable in Microsoft Word and Excel, and willing to work occasional weeknights and some Saturdays.
Interested applicants should email resume to: Sharon@bradfordandkent.com
Check out the great work of our graduating students. Catch up with friends. Meet new friends. Or see what YOU could do if you complete an AAS Degree at COD!
About 20 COD Kitchen & Bath students, faculty, and alums joined the Chicago-Midwest Chapter for Vendor Night at the Daltile showroom on Tuesday, March 24th. Everyone had a great time meeting the vendors and learning about their products. It was also a wonderful opportunity to meet and network with professional chapter members.
Three students even took home attendance prizes from the drawing held at the end of the evening. Those of us who were still hanging around, enjoying the last of the evening, posed for a group photo.
Plans for students to attend the September chapter event were discussed with President, Terry McKinney. Many of the vendors and professionals were also inquiring about students for design and intern positions in their firms.
Anyone interested in becoming involved with the NKBA Student Chapter should contact Jane or one of the student officers. We will be wrapping up the year with a pizza party to celebrate the end of a successful year and to get plans in place for a strong kick-off in the fall with a membership drive and lots of events & activities.
Check out a fun little cafe & store in downtown Glen Ellyn and get to know your fellow students. Everyone is welcome!!!
Update: Registration has CLOSED for the event.
Registration is now open for our Spring Field Trip. For only $20 you will be transported via a chartered bus to Racine and Milwaukee, receive a light breakfast and boxed lunch on the bus, and tour the three beautiful buildings shown below. The SC Johnson administration building is an icon. The Wingspread residence for the Johnson family was just opened for tours last fall. It is the last and largest residence designed and built by Frank Lloyd Wright.
The Milwaukee Art Museum is our third stop. The main galleries are under renovations, but we will see the exhibition Inspiring Beauty: 50 Years of Ebony Fashion Fair. We will also have time to walk around the Quadracci Pavilion designed by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava.
Sign up NOW – you don’t want to miss this opportunity. When we have reached the 45 person limit, registration will close. You will need to select your sandwich for the boxed lunch.
There is an opening for a part-time position for a kitchen designer at the Home Depot in Carol Stream. Please see the following information from Home Depot:
- $14.50per hour (minimum)
- Flexible hours
- No commission
- Sick/personal time
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Dental and Vision insurance
Designer Job Description:
Designers support three primary store priorities: Customers First, In Stock, and Store Appearance. Designers support Customers First by providing fast, thorough, and friendly service to customers. Designers interact with customers by welcoming them to the store, assessing their kitchen project needs, providing showroom tours, setting them up for kitchen measures, meeting with them to go over kitchen designs and make purchasing recommendations. Designers support In Stock initiatives by assessing stock levels of samples and brochures and restocking them as necessary. Designers support the Store Appearance priority by ensuring special order displays and showrooms promote a shopping environment that is appealing and safe. By supporting these three priorities, Designers drive sales to support department and store goals.
- Engage customers visiting the Kitchen Showroom
- Create an excellent customer experience through project knowledge, follow-up and project execution
- Ask customers open-ended questions and listen to responses about their projects and product needs
- Execute the design process through 20/20 Design System
- Demonstrate expert product and services knowledge in answering customer questions
- Manage and provide creative solutions for design projects
- Be the customers’ expert on special orders and installed sales
- Maintain client relationships throughout and after project
- Follow all key standards processes for Kitchen Design and Countertop Sales
- Stay abreast of design and product trends
- Prospect and engage kitchen and countertop customers
- Know store sales goals and set personal goals to support store results
- Sell items and services that supplement a customer’s merchandise or project needs
- Overcome customer objections with facts
- Develop knowledge of competitor pricing, and makes decisions on markdowns to satisfy customers
- Follow up on job quotes to complete the sale
- Promote Home Depot credit initiatives to customers
- Promote services offered at Tool Rental and the Pro Desk
- 2+ years Degree in Interior Design, Architecture or related design field
- 2+ year Design and Retail, Specialty Retail, Outside Sales or Trade experience
- Coursework toward completion of CKD, CBD, ASID, CMKBD or State Certification
Interested candidates are required to complete an online application at careers.homedepot.com
They may also contact Dianna Zychowski at 630-462-8607 ext. 077
The Home Depot
475 Schmale Rd
Carol Stream, IL 60188
First, we hope your school year is off to a great start!
We are excited to announce that the College of DuPage Interior Design department has its first-ever Campus Center for the International Interior Design Association (IIDA). If you haven’t already heard of the IIDA, we’d like to take this opportunity to invite you to a welcome and kick-off event on:
Tuesday, September 23, 2014
TEC ID Wing
9 a.m. – 10 a.m.,
class lunch break time, and
2 p.m. – 3 p.m.
We will be discussing the benefits of becoming a student member. In addition, we’ll ask for your input as to how the IIDA Campus Center can best enhance your experience as an Interior Design student at COD. Please mark your calendar and stop by on the 23rd. We’ll have a table set up outside the classroom area in the TEC Interior Design wing.
We’ll hold a drawing for a free membership. We’ll also have refreshments and cookies!
The benefit of joining IIDA at this event is that your $53 student membership fee will cover the rest of 2014 and all of 2015. It’s a great value! Keep in mind that professional memberships cost $515. You can get a taste of what it feels like to be a member of a professional organization, and see how you’ll benefit from membership without a large financial commitment at this time. More details about membership will be shared at our event…
Feel free to e-mail Eileen email@example.com if you have any questions prior to September 23rd.
We look forward to meeting you soon!
Eileen S. Solt, President
Sheri Bolton, Vice President
Telya Wallace, Treasurer
Ana Santos-Puga, Secretary
Andrea Shoop, Director
IIDA Campus Center
Have a look at the wonderful portfolios of our 2014 students. They are fabulous and I couldn’t be more proud. Their instructor, Valerie Jardon, did an awesome job guiding them. Our Portfolio Show was a HUGE success.
The link below will open a slide show. If you want to page through quicker, just use the enter key to advance the slides. Enjoy….
Fermilab, in Batavia, is taking on-line applications for an Interior Design / CAD Drafter summer intern.
Tasks will include:
- assisting in-house interior design staff to communicate with vendor and furniture installers to develop floor plans and design office layouts for furniture installations
- assist in scheduling furnishing installation projects, coordinating furniture installations and small interior remodeling projects
- assist in adjustments to employee workstations and update as-built drawings
To apply online please go to: ID CAD Drafter Position <– click for link
Don’t delay! The application close date is Wednesday, May 14th.