The COD Interior Design Student Organization is hosting a Q&A night with local Interior Design Professionals on November 28th at 5:30 PM. Come and meet representatives from local design firms from across all sectors, many of whom are program alumni or on our advisory board.
They will be answering questions about working in the industry, what employers are looking for, and other questions submitted by students. This also is a great opportunity to network with possible future employers, so bring your business cards!
Tuesday, November 28th, 2017
TEC Building, 3rd Floor
College of DuPage
425 22nd Street
Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
Add to Calendar
Do you have a job or internship opportunity, fun design event, or exciting bit of news? Let us know! Email us and we’ll get it up on the blog!
While this month is about eating turkey and visiting family, the holidays are nearly upon us! Celebrate with ASID at the new Armazem showroom on Monday, December 4th at 5:30 PM. Bites and cocktails are provided.
And a party is not complete without fun and games! The student ornament design challenge is now open and the winner gets a free student ASID membership! Portrait Sketch Artist and Fashion Illustrator Kristine Steiner will be on site as well, creating custom portrait sketches of guests, and tickets for this opportunity are on sale now!
Antunovich Associates is currently seeking an Interiors Student Intern to join our interior design team part-time in Chicago, Illinois. Primary responsibilities will include supporting the interior’s design resource library, including meeting with manufacturer representatives, updating the studio on new products and maintaining the library overall. Student Intern will also have the opportunity to assist our interior design studio, working alongside our interiors professionals to make meaningful contributions to various types of projects. Position would be two to three days a week, total hours, with flexibility around class schedule.
· Assists in maintaining Materials Library through manufacturer representative meetings and general organization.
· Performs small interiors assignments and works under direction of senior staff members.
· Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
· Basic proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketchup, and InDesign graphic software preferred.
· Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
· Flexible and able to adapt quickly to shift gears as needed.
· Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing.
· Proficiency in MS Office Word, Excel and Outlook.
· Revit/CAD skills a plus but not required.
· Currently enrolled in an architecture or interior design program.
Please send resumes to the attention of Shannon Piatek; SPiatek@antunovich.com
Do you have a job or internship opportunity, fun design event, or other exciting design related news? Let us know! Email us and we’ll get it up on the blog.
The designers at La-Z-Boy are looking for motivated Interior Design students or graduates to serve as an Interior Design Assistant to their Interior Designer in their showrooms.
The full job description follows:
Interior Design Assistant
La-Z-Boy Furniture Galleries are looking for individuals who have a degree or are currently enrolled in an Interior Design program. If you are an individual who is driven to create beautiful home environments that represent the client’s lifestyle, fashion, and taste, we are looking for you.
Our Interior Design Assistants work closely with our Interior Designer. They assist with clients in our design center as well as at the client’s home to create individualized design solutions to sell La-Z-Boy products and services. The Interior Design Assistant will do space planning, fabric coordination, and product selection. They are responsible for creating sales and utilizing exceptional customer service skills.
If you are looking for career growth and you have completed your Interior Design program, the next step would be to consider the full-time Interior Designer position.
Responsible for creating sales utilizing exceptional customer service and knowledge of La-Z-Boy products and services. Strive to create long-term customer relationships that will lead to increased sales and profitability. Develop awareness of interior design through practical experience, observation and interaction with a La-Z-Boy Designer. Assist the Interior Designer in designing and creating comfortable and functional environments that represent client’s lifestyle, taste and budget.
- Contribute to store sales goals by selling furniture, accessories and services offered by La-Z-Boy
- Team with Store Manager, Sales Manager and Associates to promote the In-Home Design program and drive overall store sales
- Assist Interior Designer to achieve established In-Home program sales goals
- Develop and utilize sales skills and principals including approach, rapport building, needs discovery, customized portfolio presentations, answering objections, closing, follow-up, after sale service and continuing contact with all previous and potential customers
- Maximize store promotions, marketing initiatives, and grassroots programs
- Maintain strong knowledge of features and benefits of existing and new product line
- Meet established goals as set by management
- Schedule professional home consultations to present customized room designs, including sample fabrics, furniture, tables and accessory recommendations as well as the benefits of a professional installation service
- Execute and champion the In-Home Design process per company guidelines
- Accurately complete order information, collect deposits and fees, keep orderly customer records, and research customer payments and deliveries
- Responsible to support design related functions in the store and maintain an up to date customized portfolio including before and after pictures of previous In-Home design projects
- Meet and greet customers that come into the store
- Ensure that each La-Z-Boy customer has an informative and positive experience by using good customer service skills and knowledge of products
- Make sound business decisions to deliver customer satisfaction and promote team environment
- Maintain a positive working relationship with all store associates
- Assist with maintenance of the overall visual appearance of store, this includes but is not limited to assist to maintain floor and/or showroom displays, tagging of products and accessories, maintaining accessory catalogs and design center fabrics, and maintaining general store cleanliness
- Adhere to general store operational procedures and guidelines
- Show a sense of urgency, enthusiasm and excitement with the staff and customers
- Other duties as assigned
If this sounds like you, please contact Inga Watson at 630-705-0100 ext4.
If you have a cool job opportunity, design event, or other bit of design related news, let us know! Email us and we’ll get it up on the blog.
Join the NKBA Chicago Midwest Chapter on Tuesday, November 14th at DeSitter Tile and Flooring Gallery in Glen Ellyn. Enjoy learning about new products, networking, and a CEU (.1 NKBA CEU).
Their feature presentation will be by Jonas Carnemark on how to create award-winning designs without breaking the bank. You will learn how to guide your high-end clients into making the right choices with their money. Jonas will share his insights into how to build client trust using tested principles of value engineering to create outstanding kitchen and bath designs.
Tue, Nov 14, 2017 @ 5:30 PM to Tue, Nov 14, 2017 @ 8:30 PM
5:30-7:00 pm: COCKTAILS & HORS D’OEUVRES
7:15pm-8:15pm: CEU PRESENTATION (.1 CEU) by Jonas Carnemark
DeSitter Tile & Flooring Gallery
444 Roosevelt Rd.
Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
Add to Calendar
Time is running out to enter the ASID Student Portfolio Competition! Winners of the competition will have the chance to interview for Summer 2018 internships at companies like Glensler, HKS, and Perkins & Will. All finalists will receive a free ticket to SCALE: The ASID National Student Summit as well. Both of these prizes are opportunities that are not to be missed!
Submissions to the competition close December 5th.
Do you have a cool competition, job opportunity, event, or othe bit of design related news? Let us know! Email us and we’ll get it up on the blog.
What: Breakfast & Presentation
Where: Patti’s Sunrise Cafe in Burr Ridge
When: November 16th, 2017 8:45 breakfast, 9:15 presentation
Join the ASID IL Chapter West Suburban Peer Group for the November Meeting! They will be having Breakfast and a presentation by Arden Herrington of Style Library, who represents Zoffany, Sanderson, Morris & Co., Scion, Harelquin, and Anthology.
All professional, Allied and Student Members are welcome. To RSVP, email Dena Kareotes Arendt.
Add the event to your calendar:
iCalendar • Google Calendar • Outlook • Outlook Online • Yahoo! Calendar
Entries for the 2017 IIDA Student Design Competition opens soon! This year, the challenge is to design the marketing and sales support office for OFS Brands’ headquarters.
The first place prize is $2,500 and winners will be announced in the Spring 2018 issue of QUAD as well as thee IIDA Student Newsletter and featured in DesignMatters and on the IIDA website.
Click here or the image above to get more information. If you enter let us know! We would love to feature you on our blog and support you!
Have a cool job opportunity, competition, event, or other piece of design related news? Let us know! Email us and we’ll get it up on the blog.
Gabriela Alonso-Carmona, a COD Alumni is looking for help at her Wheaton based design firm. She is looking for a Junior Designer to help her source, draft, put presentations together, order samples and possibly do renderings as well.
You can check out some of her work on her webpage by clicking here, or the image above.
If you are interested in the position, please contact her directly at email@example.com or by calling (630) 886-3457
If you have a cool job opportunity, competition, event, or other design news, let us know! Email us and we’ll get it up on the blog!
The team at Tom Stringer Design Partners are looking for to hire for the following positions:
- Design Assistant
- Part-Time Designer
- Full-Time Designer
They would prefer that the applicant have prior experience in a firm or studio. If this sounds like you, you can contact Lesley Stump with your cover letter and resume.
Do you have an exciting bit of design news, job opportunity, or competition you would like to share? Let us know! Email us and we’ll get it up on the blog.